Monday, August 10, 2009

Awwwwwwwww...

Oh man, I had a major "awwwwww" moment driving my kids to Preschool today. So cute, I had to write it down. (Seriously. If you easily go into sugar-shock, you might want to skip this one. It's that sweet. You could vomit.) Bear with me, because there's a little back story to this: Both of my boys are mildly obsessed with Super Heroes. Now, considering that I'm a television Nazi and won't let my kids watch anything that isn't G-rated, with the occasional PG-rating (as long as it's been pre-screened and approved by moi), my boys haven't really seen much Super Hero action. But, exposure is unavoidable. Super Heroes are everywhere, right? Pajamas, T-shirts, lunch boxes, story books, etc., so the boys get the concept and think it's all very exciting and dramatic and fun. Anyway, we've spent some time discussing the concept of "hero", and I've always told them that you don't need super powers to be a hero. All you have to do to be a real hero is to be kind, to look out for others, to stand up against bullying and mean behavior, and to help people whenever you can. (Boring Mom-talk, right?) My boys would much rather be heroes by flying into burning buildings and putting the fire out with their super-breath or their incredibly fast wind-generating super-spins, or by doing anything that would allow them to cause great physical harm to "bad guys." Still, I'm laying the groundwork by talking about the more realistic aspects of being a hero, don't you think? The second half of this back story is the boys' natural curiosity about their parents' jobs. My husband, after being laid off from the real estate industry, was fortunate enough to get a position as a city transit bus driver. (The work is interesting and social, and he was surprised to find out that he really enjoys it. The hours, for lack of a more descriptive word, suck!) Anyway, his job is kind of a no-brainer for the boys to understand, right? They see buses all over town, they ride on them from time-to-time, they know Daddy is a driver, and they think it's a "wicked cool" job. My position as a middle school counselor is a bit harder for their little brains to grasp. I've explained it as best as I can, they know that I help kids who are having a tough time, they've visited me at work and seen "the big, big kids" at my school, but I've never thought that they really get the whole concept of what I do in my job. So, I was driving the boys to Preschool this morning, and we were talking about different jobs people do, when my oldest little guy, Spencer, suddenly piped up, "Mommy, I know exactly, for sure, what I'm going to do when I grow up." "Oh, really?" said I. "Yup, I sure do, Mommy. I'm going to be a school counselor just like you, because I want to be a hero too."

How sweet is that? I'm getting misty again just writing about it. So, vomit if you must, but you have to apprecate what a great moment that was, eh? Wishing all Mommies everywhere more moments just like that one. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment